It is with deep regret that I have to inform you that my loving wife Jane sadly passed away on Monday 3rd September in St Gemma's Hospice, Leeds. On behalf of our family I wish to thank the hospice staff, our friends, relatives and supporters, including our business and charity partners for their continued and generous support during the six years that Jane had been diagnosed with terminal cancer. Thank you all so much for helping make this happen.
- An MBE and subsequently a CBE by the Queen
- The Helen Rollason Award at the BBC Sports Personality of the Year Awards in 2002
- Twice recognised at the Sportswoman of the Year Awards
- A Great Briton Award
- Voted the most Inspirational Woman in Britain in 2003
- A Pride of Briton Award in 2005
Tomlinson lived with breast cancer since 1990, but being told seven years ago that she had just six month to live inspired her to become a super-athlete. Pain only seemed to spur her on.
"No one was more surprised than us when she took out a gym membership in October 2000, a few weeks after the terminal diagnosis. It seemed, on the face of it, massively out of character," her family said in a statement.
"The weight of this burden has been immense on all of us, but primarily Jane. We hope that she is now at peace from the pain that has accompanied her for so long," her family said in a statement.