Pain Management SIG Mission
The mission of the Pain Management SIG is to promote excellence in oncology nursing through the promotion of optimal pain control for all persons throughout their cancer experience by studying, researching, and exchanging information, and to provide a system for networking and resource sharing for nurses with a special interest and/or expertise in pain management.
- Provide a system for networking and resource sharing.
- Identify non-pharmacological pain treatment modalities which may benefit individuals with cancer.
- Collaborate with the Patient Education SIG to evaluate current patient education resources for cancer pain and to develop a plan for public education regarding pain management.
- Support the distribution and implementation of the AHCPR Cancer Pain Management Guidelines.
- Support the work of State Cancer Pain Initiatives (CPIs).
- Explore the impact of pain management as related to the physician assisted suicide movement in the United States.
- To assist, as needed, with the update of ONS Pain Position Paper.
The Pain Management SIG fulfills their mission and goals through: working with various ONS project teams; working with the Patient Education SIG to collect samples of patient education materials regarding cancer pain management; preparing topic submissions on pain issues for presentation at ONS educational events (i.e. Congress and Institutes of Learning); collaborating with other organizations which focus on the oncology pain population (e.g., Alliance of State Cancer Pain Initiatives and the City of Hope MayDay project); and promoting the expertise of Pain Management SIG members through nominating SIG members for Excellence Awards.http://painmanagement.vc.ons.org/